Individuals and families receive the tools needed to gain financial control of their future.
Homeownership Services provide the education and tools necessary for potential home buyers to make informed, sound decisions related to understanding the entire home buying process. The program is comprised of a combination of workshops and working with a coach one-on-one to ensure potential home buyers reach their goal of sustainable homeownership. Workshops are designed for those seriously considering homeownership so they can successfully navigate the process and qualify for a certificate required by certain loans, grants and/or down payment assistance.
Personal coaching sessions are also available to potential home buyers who currently have a mortgage loan and sales contract. A homebuyer certificate will be made available following completion of personal coaching sessions.
If you are thinking about owning a home in the near future please call us to help you evaluate the following:
- How much house you can afford to buy
- How to tell which mortgage is the right one for you
- How much down payment to save
- How to obtain and review a credit report and credit scores
- The cost of taxes, insurance and maintenance
Why We Do It
An estimated five million homes have been lost to foreclosure since 2006, and another three million homes are estimated to be lost in the next three years. While the reasons can be numerous, a recent study by Neil and Temkin prepared for NeighborWorks America has shown that pre-purchase counseling and education works. The study’s findings show that clients receiving pre-purchase counseling and education from NeighborWorks organizations are one-third less likely to become 90+ days delinquent over the two years after receiving their loan than are borrowers who do not receiving pre-purchase counseling from counseling organizations. It applies equally to first-time homebuyers and repeat buyers. Counseling can have at least two types of effects on loan performance. The first is helping homebuyers with overall budgeting, credit card borrowing, and setting aside reserves for emergencies. A second impact is to help home buyers select an affordable and appropriate mortgage product with a desirable interest rate on the loan with manageable debt to income ratios.
- If you are interested in meeting with a financial coach to discuss your homeownership goals you will need to bring in the following: monthly bills, last four paystubs, and a credit report (if you have one)
- If you need a homebuyer education certification for a grant or loan product, Call us at (859) 491-8303 ext. 2314 for your one-on-one appointment
- Making Cents of Homeownership book requirement: Realizing the American Dream ($25-Cash, Money Order, Credit Card)
- Certificates are issued at the end of the workshop (valid for 12 months).
- Lunch will be provided at workshop!